Update

Sorry for the delay on a new post. I had two big deadlines for projects that had to be sorted at the end of June which took up any spare time I might have had. And then I was on holiday for a bit – and not that keen to spend the time and effort required to produce the next part of the tutorial. It looks like things are getting a bit quieter now, so I am currently in the process of evaluating where the rest of this year is headed. Creating a new part is climbing my priority list now that a couple of other things are finishing up, so hopefully it will not be too far away.

Mobile Demo

I have been working on a demo mobile game using Unity3D (targeting Android at the moment – a Samsung Galaxy Note2 to be precise). This is mainly to see what sorts of things can be done. I have an idea for a game that I will be using this trial as a foundation for. I will not be writing anything serious up about it (since that would take up too much of my time). But I thought that some people may be interested in checking out the code (and following the changes I make to it). It is all up on my github account under the project unity-mobile-demo.

For those of you following the RTS tutorial: Don’t worry, this is not a replacement for that. I am still working on the tutorial. This is a much smaller project that I can work on in small snippets (rather than the extended period of time required to write a tutorial post). I started playing with it because I had too many ideas buzzing round in my head.

Creating an RTS in Unity: Part XVII

At long last I have managed to get another post written. I think this has turned out to be one of the longest in the tutorial so far … The topic this time enabling the user to select which Player they want to be. This includes saving and loading basic Player details so that you can select the Player you were last time you played. Some basic customization is provided too – name and an avatar. This part can be found at stormtek.geek.nz/rts_tutorial/part17.php. Enjoy!

P.S. While writing this part I fixed a small bug with the mouse cursor. We are using MouseCursorSkin to provide basic styling for the cursor (although the actual image being used depends on the current cursor state). I have set the border, padding, and margin for a Label to be 0. This ensures that the image we are using is displayed as large as possible.

Plans for the coming year

Sorry for the long delay between posts. My intention is still to work on this tutorial. I can see that it is useful for other people, but it is also useful for me to think through why I am doing things. It works out as a learning experience for all of us!

Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to sketch out for you my plans for the next stage of this tutorial. I am hoping to put up a new part once a month. I know, this is slow for those of you who are working through the tutorial right now and just want to carry on with things. But this is the most realistic time frame for me to aim for at the moment. If you are lucky there might be more than one part per month, but that is in no way guaranteed.

The reason this is plans for the coming year is because I have sketched out where I want to take the next 10 parts – which will take until the end of the year to complete if I can do 1 per month. I know, another 10 parts still, and at that point there will still be lots of things that could be worked on. But by that point we will have a stable platform to build on with a lot of very useful things in place. So, the things I plan to work on next are:

  • Character selection
  • Saving a game
  • Loading a game
  • Victory conditions (there will be more than one that we define, so that you have options to choose from)
  • Single player campaign (basic but should be very easy to extend)
  • Basic computer player (so we can finally make things interactive)
  • Power (remember it was another resource type we introduced?)
  • Waypoints (so you can set up paths for your Units to follow)
  • Audio (since a quiet game is kinda boring)
  • Options menu (so that Players can turn that audio down, among other things)

So, lots of interesting things still coming up. Thank you all for your patience as I work on things. Thank you also for your support and encouragement – it does inspire me to keep working on things. And don’t worry, I have not forgotten about this.

Also, a reminder that the entire tutorial is now up on stormtek.geek.nz.

Dedicated Website

stormtek.geek.nz

Hey team. I have finally managed to get a dedicated website up and looking good. Check it out using the link posted at the top of this post. The main improvement this brings over the blog is that the tutorial is now nice and easy to read in its entirety. Nice clean navigation. Ease of access. So much better in so many ways. (And I have full control over everything which is nice too) Please check it out and let me know what you think. (There are still some adjustments I will be making, but overall it is stable and looking good)

I will be going through each of the original posts to provide a link to the new site. When I add new parts to the tutorial I will write a blog post about that, complete with a link to that part, so that if you follow the blog you can stay up-to-date. However, the full content of new parts will be on the website rather than here on the blog (since that saves duplication of effort). I will also look at providing links back to the original posts so that comments which have been added so far can be referenced from the new site.